Thursday 20 October 2011

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

Amid the chaos of the war, the Shadowhunters must decide to fight with the vampires, werewolves and other Downworlders - or against them. Meanwhile, Jace and Clary have their own decision to make: should they persue the love they know is forbidden?

Okay, so my first thought when I read this title was FINALLY! Finally, they will be going to Idris, the original home of the Shadowhunters. So I suppose that the title gave away that some action was going to go down anyway - even though that was probably a given, seeing as how the previous book ended. But I really did enjoy this book. There was practically action going on in every page, and I literally could not put it down, especially towards the last 200 pages or so - it had me hooked, it really had. I felt like I was watching the scenes unfold in front of me - I was laughing, shouting - I nearly even broke down in a fit of tears on the bus. The emotions from all the characters were just...so raw and so real, despite this being a fantasy novel, and I found myself falling back in love with characters, such as Jace, Clary, Hodge, and even Valentine (to some extent, of course). I really think Clare upped her game again for this book - so many mysteries were planted and revealed, and half the twists that went on during the book were so unpredictable, I didn't see them coming. The only reason stopping me from giving this book a rating of 10 is because of how disappointed I was at Clary's wish. When she wished for Jace - as was predictable - I think she should have wished back everyone who had been harmed by Valentine and his minions over the past 2 days. I really think that would have made the book positively perfect. But maybe she didn't wish for that for a reason? I'll have to find out, with Clare's next book, City of Fallen Angels - but, I won't be reading this immediately because I have only just ordered it in through my school library.
Rating:4/5

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this series. My friend let me borrow her books over the summer while I was on vacation. I think I did more gushing over these than actually vacationing...

    Hmm I can see that now. The whole Clare's wish thing. I do agree that lots of the book was really suspenseful and engaging and simply cathartic.

    Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you ^^ yeah, I really do adore this series - I felt like I was sat on some kind of moving couch, watching it all(: really can't wait to read the next book

    ReplyDelete