Sunday 13 November 2011

Destined by P.C. and Kristin Cast


Zoey is finally home where she belongs, safe with her Guardian Warrior, Stark, by her side, and preparing to face off against Neferet – which would be a whole lot easier if the High Counsel saw the ex-High Priestess for what she really is. Kalona has released his hold on Rephaim, and, through Nyx's gift of a human form, Rephaim and Stevie Rae are finally able to be together – if he can truly walk the path of the Goddess and stay free of his father's shadow…
But there are new forces at work at the House of Night. An influx of humans, including Lenobia’s handsome horse whisperer, threatens their precarious stability. And then there’s the mysterious Aurox, a jaw-droppingly gorgeous teen boy who is actually more – or possibly less – than human. Only Neferet knows he was created to be her greatest weapon. But Zoey can sense the part of his soul that remains human, the compassion that wars with his Dark calling. And there’s something strangely familiar about him… 
Will Neferet’s true nature be revealed before she succeeds in silencing them all? And will Zoey be able to touch Aurox’s humanity in time to protect him – and everyone – from his own fate?

I really enjoyed this book! As much as the House of Night books are one of my all-time favourite series, for the last couple of books, for me, they have been lacking in plot, character and suspense - especially because they were situated all over the place, and all that really seemed to happen was that people died and Zoey became best friends with a gazillion other people who you'd never even heard about before. But this book was a real comeback - here, you are back at the Tulsa House of Night where Zoey, the nerd herd and the red fledglings are fighting Neferet and Darkness. I think one of the things I most loved about this book was how some of those loose ends were tied - for example, the storyline with Dragon, which has honestly been bugging me for ages because I've always believed that he was a great guy - so when the Cast's made him all horrible, I was more than just a little bit annoyed. I also loved how finally the High Council are actually doing something about all the countless strange things that have been happening throughout the past books - I mean, it was a bit stupid before, when they are supposed to be this high and mighty group, yet they can't see through Neferet's obvious lies. However, as much as I liked this book, I can't give it full marks because one thing really annoyed me - that how Aurox plot. I like the idea of someone who died in a previous book being reborn - but honestly? Did it have to be that character? You finally think that Zoey has settled down with loving Stark -  but then another guy comes along?! Really? That really did annoy me. Although I know Zoey is typically the star of the show, I really think some of the other characters need a bit of the limelight - yes, Rephaim and Stevie Rae were centre stage for a book - but it's always back to Zoey. I know it seems like a small thing, but for me, it really did spoil a bit of the enjoyment of the book for me. But nevertheless, I really did love it, and I can't wait for the tenth installment to this series.
Rating:4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment