Saturday 14 January 2012

Paper Towns by John Green

Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life--dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge--he follows.
After their all-nighter ends and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues--and they're for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees of the girl he thought he knew.


This was the first book that I ever read by Green, and I still adore it. Unlike other of his characters, the main character Q is actually pretty normal - I mean, his has friends, he had a girlfriend, he's pretty cute, and he isn't a complete social outcast - but you can still really connect with him, which I think is key with any good book; you have to be able to relate to the main character. I have to say, I don't dislike any of the characters in this book - I think there isn't a specific person you can hate on. Well...apart from Jase - but no one really cares about him. The whole of Q's hang are so hilarious, that despite the possibly depressing storyline, you can't help but snort with laughter at least once every chapter. Especially with Ben - merlin, he is so funny! Green's own humor and wit is poured into each and every character, and I really think that he is what makes each of these books unique and amazing. His characterization is brilliant, and he tells you just enough information about each character - not enough for you to get bored, but not little enough for you to get irritated. I also loved the ending - it wasn't your perfect tale, but then again, life isn't perfect, and I just think that that was the best ending this book could wish for, and it leaves readers satisfied and possibly in tears. I would definitely recommend this book - and all of Green's other novels - to anyone who is a fan of Lauren Oliver, David Levithan, Jenny Downham and more.
Rating:4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment