Friday 2 March 2012

Author Interview: Jennifer Donnelly

When I found out that my first author interview would be with Jennifer Donnelly, I was absolutely ecstatic! Jennifer is the author of five novels; two of which I have read (Revolution and A Gathering Light), and a series I really need to read (The Tea Rose). She currently lives in New York with her husband, two daughters, and two rats.


Hello Jennifer, and welcome to the blog! Now, I've read both of Revolution and A Gathering Light, and I have to say I adored both of them, as well as the lead characters of Mattie, Andi and Alexandrine. But I was wondering - who is your favourite?

Thank you, Nina! I honestly don't have a favorite. They're paper children to me. I love them all equally, but in different ways as they're such different people.

Ah yes, I can completely understand that. Personally, I really liked Alexandrine, and found her story quite intruiging. What inspired you to write her into the French revolution?

Alex herself inspired me. She walked out of the mists of my imagination as I was struggling with the telling of this story. She was hurrying down a night street in late 18th century Paris, carrying a bundle in her arms. She stopped suddenly, turned and looked at me -- as if she was taking my measure. After a minute or so, she beckoned. And I followed her. And bit by bit, she told me her story.

So, in a way, Andi is a bit like you? In the fact that she was drawn into the story by Alex and her letters?

Not exactly. I was drawn into the story by an article I read years ago in The New York Times titles "Geneticists Latest Probe: The Heart of the Dauphin." It told the story of a tiny heart in a glass urn in the Basilica of St. Denis in Paris. I was hooked from the first line.

And it proved for an interesting story, too! Do you think that in the future, you will continue to write books that are based around letters from the past?

They've certainly been inspiring so far! I'm always attracted to words coming from people who've gone before us, but I think each story is different and requires its own unique forms and structures. 

Yes, I agree; a story usually makes itself, huh? On that topic, are you currently writing a new novel? And if so, can we sneak a bit of information about it from you?

I am indeed working on a new novel -- two, actually. Both are for teens, but that's all I can say at the moment!

Really? Okay, now I am stupidly excited. Thank you so much for this interview, and I wish you the best of luck in your writing career; as of now, I am eagerly awaiting for those two new books!

Thanks so much, Nina! All best wishes to you!


Are you excited as I am? I should hope so! Jennifer is such a lovely person and a brilliant author, and I genuinely can't wait until her new releases. If you haven't already read one of her books, I definitely recommend it - they are literally life-changing. So watch this space, people - watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment