Wednesday 7 March 2012

What Happened To Goodbye by Sarah Dessen

Another town. Another school. Another Mclean. Ever since her parents' bitter divorce, Mclean and her father have been fleeing their unhappy past. And Mclean's become a pro at reinventing herself with each move. But in Lakeview, Mclean finds herself putting down roots and making friends—in part, thanks to Dave, the most real person Mclean's ever met. Dave just may be falling in love with her, but can he see the person she really is? Does Mclean herself know?

 Although I tend to read books for older teens which are more emotionally charged, I have loved Dessen's books for years now, simply because of how simple they are. They each have a similar theme: a girl is troubled, and she finds a boy who somehow turns her life around. Now while I am all about women not necessarily needing men, I think I adore her books because of the fact that they are so different than what I tend to read; they are light and you know they're going to have a good ending, because hey - that's part of the theme too. However, I have to say this wasn't one of my favourite works of hers. I adore Just Listen, The Truth About Forever, and Lock and Key. But this was just dragged out a bit too much for my liking. You want her and Dave to get together - yet practically nothing happens to them. And Dessen builds the story up to a climax - and then you're left feeling disappointed, because the surprise wasn't as good as you thought it was going to be. But then again, I think this has a lot to do with my age range. Although I wouldn't recommend this particular book to anyone over the age of 15, I still would recommend it to any younger persons, because she really is a brilliant author, and she definitely manages to connect the characters with her readers - depending on their age, of course.
Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment