Monday 9 July 2012

Nina's Week at Waterstones: Day 1


So since I am in Year 10, we're scheduled to do work experience for a week - and finally the week has come! I got my placement at Waterstones last September/October time, so I have been excited to start for quite a while, and I thought that considering Waterstones is all about books, why don't I write a bit of an account about it on the blog? So that is basically what this is. Have fun laughing at my life!




So I turned up stupidly early (i.e. half an hour early, which is extremely rare considering I am late for everything!) and met the staff, who are all lovely! We had a staff meeting, I got shown around, and then sat for half an hour watching risk assessment DVDs and filling out stuff. To be honest, I didn't find it that boring (the videos were pretty hilarious, I'm not gonna lie.) I then went around the store and sketched out a map, because being the klutz that I am, I'm probably gonna get lost and if a costumer asks me where something is, I will send them in the wrong direction. Just saying - the map is rather sexy, if I do say so myself.

I then went around the store putting stickers on a range of books which were on this list. That took up way more time than I thought, and when I guessed it was about 11.00am, it turns out it was actually 12.30pm. Clever, aren't I? So I quickly helped to make a display of a certain author, then I went for lunch with some friends, before coming back and helping to put away a range of children's books. Let me be the first to tell you that children's books are the most confusing things ever, and are in the most confusing section ever, too. But it went okay, and I didn't put them in the wrong places (I hope...).

Now here comes the fun part. You know those price-tag-sticker-gun-thingies? I got to use one and stick prices on quite a few items. Okay, so at first I wasn't very good at it, but some of the staff showed me the ropes and I got the hang of it pretty quickly. (I should probably mention that I ended knocking loads over and demolishing half of the store. Fine, yes, that's an over-exaggeration, but like I said; clumsy.) I then tided up the whole of the children's section, and then got told I could go home (again, the whole time thing. Tomorrow, I am definitely taking a watch.)

So overall, the day was pretty awesome. I have to say I felt completely at home there; surrounded by books, it was pretty much my idea of heaven. However, I've already learnt that work is freaking tiring! I didn't realize how tired I was until I came home and sat down; I definitely do not envy adults having the work five days a week! But it honestly wasn't that bad, and I actually cannot wait until tomorrow! Happy reading!

- Nina

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a lot of fun even though it was tiring(: Waterstone's sounds like a cool place to work, especially if you love books!

    New follower via networked blogs, GFC, Twitter, and facebook. I would love it if you could stop by sometime. http://curseofthebibliophile.blogspot.com/?zx=101ba020d835f8e6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I would recommend working there to everyone :D they're like a family to me, already. Thank you ^^ I will check you out now

      Delete