Wednesday 21 August 2013

Indelible by Dawn Metcalf

Title: Indelible
Author: Dawn Metcalf
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Released: July 30th 2013
Pages: 384 (eBook)
Buy: Amazon UK / Amazon US
Add on Goodreads

Some things are permanent.
Indelible.
And they cannot be changed back.

Joy Malone learns this the night she sees a stranger with all-black eyes across a crowded room—right before the mystery boy tries to cut out her eye. Instead, the wound accidentally marks her as property of Indelible Ink, and this dangerous mistake thrusts Joy into an incomprehensible world—a world of monsters at the window, glowing girls on the doorstep, and a life that will never be the same.

Now, Joy must pretend to be Ink’s chosen one—his helper, his love, his something for the foreseeable future...and failure to be convincing means a painful death for them both. Swept into a world of monsters, illusion, immortal honor and revenge, Joy discovers that sometimes, there are no mistakes.

Somewhere between reality and myth lies…

THE TWIXT.

You know that moment where you reach a certain point of not being accepted for an eGalley and you resign yourself to thinking Nope, not going to get it? Well, I got that feeling with Indelible, much to my disappointment, as I couldn't wait to read it! However, Harlequin gave me a little surprise: I was accepted for it, and dear god, was I excited when I found out.

Joy Malone is just your average teenage girl - until that night on the Carousel when a mysterious boy with black eyes tries to cut her eyes out. Thrust head-first into the world of the Folk, Joy learns of the mysterious Invisible Inq and Indelible Ink, of whom she is now the lehman of. Made to put on the pretence that this wasn't a mistake, Joy begins to spend more time with Ink, and slowly becomes more and more attached to him. However, the Twixt isn't as nice as drawing images onto one another - someone out there is trying to collect everyone's signatures, and unbeknownst to Joy, she is going to play a main part.

Eleven out of five stars for the concept! Admittedly it took me a while to get the grasp of these whole other world, but I thought that Metcalf explained such a complex idea very well. Metcalf was just good with words, in general. Her writing is beautiful, and it wove together such a fantastical and other-worldly story that you can't help but be drawn into.

Joy was a fantastic narrative to follow, and I loved how a lot of the story involved her trying to balance her time between these two different worlds. The great thing was that Joy was new to the Twixt just like the reader, so it was a combined learning experience which helped the reader relate to Joy better

I loved the characterisation of all the secondary characters, good and bad - especially Inq and Ink. I don't really know what image of them I've got in my head, I just know that it kind of looked like Slenderman-slash-Splice-slash-pretty human. Whatever it was, I thought they were an ingenious creation, and I'm in love with them - I need more already!

The climax wasn't as big or as dramatic as I had been hoping for. I understood that it was a big deal to everyone in the Twixt, but to me it just...fell a bit flat. There was plenty of action going on, more than enough to satisfy any adrenaline-junkies out there, but it just felt like a big deal over basically nothing. However, this was the only disappointing thing about the entire book - the rest of it was spot-on.

I'd also like to point out how gorgeous the cover is! I rarely give much recognition to the covers, but the cover of Indelible caught my eye before the blurb did. It's simple to look at, sure, but there is something beautiful about it that fits perfectly with the story. It's entrancing.

Overall, Indelible was an amazing read - one of the best this month! It held everything that a good book needs and so much more, leaving me satisfied but eager to know what happens next! The Twixt series promises to be unique and addictive, and I can't wait to get my hands on the next instalment.
Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment